What are UPAs?
UPAs, or Universal Product Attributes, are rich media units which help bring to life the experience of a flight through the use of media and descriptive text. They incorporate the airline’s brand language and imagery, and are highly targeted so that the content is as specific to the flight being viewed by a shopper as possible.
You can find an updated list of the airlines for which Routehappy has created UPAs here. However, some of these airlines may not give access to their UPAs to all distributors, which may impact the number of airline UPAs you can display on your site.
The range of UPAs Routehappy creates for an airline depends on that airline’s subscription tier.
- Seat only. We can create a single UPA representing a passenger's seat experience on a popular route for any airline that is a customer of ATPCO’s.
- Flight. For airlines in our Starter tier and above, we create the following UPA categories:
- Standard. For airlines in our Pro tier and above, we create 25+ categories, including the Flight category UPAs above, as well as:
- departure airport
- arrival airport
- connection airport
- Premium. For airlines in our Expert tier and above, we create the Standard categories above, as well as custom categories, airline-defined and channel-specific categories (e.g., frequent flier mileage/points)
Routehappy targets UPAs very specifically using a combination of focused criteria such as:
This means you will be able to display UPAs that are hyper-relevant to the flights you are selling. For instance, the emphasis for a morning flight might be on the quality of coffee being served, whereas for an evening flight it might be on the premium alcohol.
How UPAs are integrated
UPAs are integrated through a call to our UPA API. The call needs to include origin and destination, date, flight number and cabin. More details can be found here.
Integration ideas for direct channels
You can use UPAs anywhere in your sales funnel, but we especially recommend integration into the following:
- Search results pages as thumbnails
- Cabin upsell pages
- Flight details and flight review pages, and confirmation or flight reminder emails
A few best practices
- Use UPAs in conjunction with UTAs & Amenities to reinforce your selling strategy. You can consult with your CDL on how to create the best synergies between the products
- Test, measure, refine. Your CDL can consult on this with you as well, to help you design the most meaningful test
- Let us know which airlines are most important to you
We regularly add new airlines, or update the UPAs of existing airlines, to keep up with changes in their subfleets, product experience, new media, etc. Those changes automatically flow through to your platforms once you have integrated UPAs.