What are amenities?
Amenities are structured data that describe key, objective attributes of a flight, and help give flight shoppers an at-a-glance understanding of what they can expect onboard. They exist for for close to 300 airlines, in over 25 languages.
Routehappy has developed a range of amenities to answer flight shoppers’ common questions.
Standard categories (available for all airline customers)
- Seat: covers the physical seat type for every subfleet in every cabin of the aircraft. Includes quality, legroom, pitch, width, flatness and type
- Aircraft: covers quality, cabin pressure, window size, type
- Layout: covers everything from classic layouts to the newest space-saving premium-cabin configurations
- Wi-Fi: covers availability, type, quality, coverage, rollout, and cost (free/for a fee)
- Entertainment: covers passenger entertainment options
- Power: covers whether AC power outlets, USB ports, or both are available
- Standard food: covers food per flight and flight cabin and whether it’s available, for a fee or free. Food is classified as snacks, light meals, and full multi-course meals
Premium categories (available for Routehappy’s airline customers who are in higher subscription tiers)
- Enhanced food: covers food per flight and flight cabin and whether it’s available, for a fee or free. Food is classified as breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and light meals, and as premium when available in business/first
- Beverages: covers alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and whether they’re available, for a fee or free. Highlights premium beverages in business/first
How amenities are integrated into sales channels
- Amenities API: Amenities are easily integrated into any sales channel using our Amenities API. In order to access Amenity data, you will need the flight’s Origin & Destination, Flight number, Date, & Cabin. You can read more about the Amenities API here.
- Custom File Transfer: This is an option, for a fee, for sales channel customers who are in an expert or higher tier. If you are interested in this option, please let your assigned Client Development Lead (CDL) know.
Amenities can be presented concisely and compactly and are a structured data set, so they can easily be used for a variety of use cases:
Desktop, mobile and app
- Search results and filtering search results
- Flight details
- Flight review
- Sales and promotion
- Flight updates
Alexa, Google Home, etc.
- Amenities have been successfully integrated into voice-activated applications during hackathons. Consult your CDL if you want to learn more.
A few best practices
- Include icons in integrations to improve flight shoppers’ ability to scan and more quickly find the information they care about most, be it Wi-Fi availability, power availability, etc.
- Keep it concise. Many customers choose to display additional details “on hover” in order to keep the initial view as clean as possible and to prevent customers from getting overwhelmed with information while shopping.
- We’re here to help. We’ve seen a wide array of integration types on both airline websites and sales channels and are happy to help determine which integration type will work best for you. For customers who are in Expert or higher subscription tiers, Routehappy Agency is also available to propose designs based on specific use cases.